Special EventS 2018
performances, Workshops, Receptions, & Artist Panels
See it all!
The Walk With The Works Roving Reception
June 27, 6 - 8:30PM
Walk with Works Festival artists and director and explore:
1) In Search of Eden by Emmanuel Osahor on Capital Plaza
2) Blessings in Stone by Leo Arcand at the Matrix Hotel
3) home: Medalta’s Artists in Residence at the Alberta Craft Gallery
4) Typical Space by Sora Park & The Skin Machine by Rachel Thomas at Latitude 53
5) Not in the Pink: the creative process by Tina Martel at NorQuest College
6) The Works Festival Stage, featuring Gitana Mundo, on Capital Plaza
Your ticket includes:
- A meet and greet with featured artists, including artists whose work is not a stop on the tour. Spend walking time between venues discussing their exhibits and artistic practice.
- Time at each venue to hear from artists present, ask questions about the work, and explore freely.
- 2 included beverages plus snacks, including a drink on The Works Patio as you take in the eclectic sounds of Gitana Mundo: an exotic blend of music from all corners of the globe, mixed with a little funk, cajun, tex-mex, jazz, old time swing, and and country twang.
Get your ticket today! https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/walk-with-the-works-roving-reception-tickets-46991435649
Colouring Nights on The Works Patio, 7-9 PM Mon - Sat
Fill in the original work of festival and Works artists! Grab a cool beverage, listen to live music, and chat with the featured artists, who will be on hand to casually talk about their works and inspirations. No experience needed! We got everything you need to tap into your creativity and colour to your heart's content.
For more info and full artist listing visit https://www.facebook.com/events/1973383349641588/
Sanctuary Spaces: The Edmonton River Valley as Utopia Panel
Saturday June 30, 2 - 3 PM
Join Emmanuel Osahor and panelists from various backgrounds for a thoughtful discussion of the complexities of today's social climate that many cities, including Edmonton, are faced with. Contribute to the dialogue and share your thoughts about these complex issues. The panel discussion will be inside the installation for participants to completely understand the work and have a transformative experience.
For panelist info and to contribute to the discussion, visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/259776818094230/
Not in the pink: artist book readings
Saturday June 23, 12-1 PM & Monday July 2, 12-1 PM
When Tina Martel was diagnosed with Stage Two B breast cancer, she decided to document everything. Not in the Pink is a "graphic narrative" of the pain, frustration, and frequent hilarity of her day to day dealing with eccentricities and bureaucracy of the medical system.
Meet and chat with Tina Martel as she brings the creative detritus behind the construction of the book into the public eye. She invites everyone for a thoughtful conversation about her creative process behind her award-winning illustrated book on her experience with breast cancer.
get inky with snap printshop: June 27 & 28, 12-5 PM
Discover printmaking techniques with The Works’ partner gallery SNAP (Society of Northern Alberta Print-Artists)! Learn about this creative practice and take home a unique hand printed artwork, created for you live onsite.
Twyla Exner – Send and Receive Workshop on Capital Plaza
June 29th, 6-9 PM & June 30th, 3-6 PM
Twyla Exner’s exhibit Send and Receive, located at the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce – World Trade Centre, includes watercolour drawings and cast sculptures that combine natural forms with sign-emitting and receiving electronic technologies (satellites). The works consider the relationship between nature and technology.
Join Twyla on June 29th and 30th on Capital Plaza to contribute to the dialogue and create small sculptures of your own to add to a collective installation.